Friday, April 29, 2011

Chef AJ's Black Bean Brownies



     I made these after watching the Chef AJ YouTube videos.  I LOVED them.  Word of advise is to cook them extra long, super crispy.  One user on Dr. Fuhrman's website suggested that what he does is when the cooking is done to flip the entire thing over and cook the other side crispy too.  The crispier the better which gave me the idea that this would make a great cookie too.  ENJOY!!!

1 15oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1.5 cups date syrup
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup flour (I used SPELT)
1/2 cup choc chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

     Using a food processor - blend beans and date syrup until smooth
add remaining dry ingredients
pour into 8 x 8 pan
sprinkle with choc chips or nuts (optional)

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

Serving Size: makes and 8x8 pan

Number of Servings: 8

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chef Jellynow,

    I've actually started decreasing the amount of date syrup to 1.25 cups and they are still good. I find what makes the most difference is the quality of the cocoa powder. I like to use Valhrona or Ultimate (both are availalbe at my Whole Foods)

    Love & Kale,
    Chef AJ
    author of "UNPROCESSED"
    www.Eatunprocessed.com

    ReplyDelete